Just another Queer Assault

A couple of days ago twitter had a trending topic titled #IWantToConvertYouEyes. This was a result of Queer South African twitter users who were responding to one twitter user who was suggesting that gay men annoyed him with their “convert you eyes.” I guess he meant our eyes were so sexy that that when looking at men we make them uncomfortable, but honestly I do not care what he meant because that stereotype proved to be a danger to me. Little did I know that a few days later, I would also fall victim to “convert you eyes” in the hands of a cis heterosexual woman. It breaks my heart having to write about a woman so negatively at the start of woman’s month but unfortunately, hate has no gender.

As many already know, I was victim to an assault on Friday (29 July). It was a normal afternoon of drinking with friends (I use the term very loosely). It was I, this woman and her man, and all was going well until a comment made me a little weary. Apparently the was a certain way I was looking at this man whilst we were conversing so nonchalantly around the table, a way that made said woman “uncomfortable” but she had said it in a way as to brush it off as one of her many borderline homophobic statements. So I paid no attention. And not once did I think it might have been my “convert you eyes” because they both knew he was not my type. The afternoon carried on until we all got drunk and passed out. PASSED OUT.  I cannot lie and tell you how long I was passed out but what I do remember is being woken up by someone pulling me out of the bed and dragging me outside. What happened next is only but something I would never wish on anyone. By the time I realised what was going on they were on top of me with a sjambock beating me for dear life. In between there were slurs of homophobic violent terms and she telling me ndizakubetha kuphume ubumofi apha kuwe (I will beat the gay out of you). This happened repeatedly until I managed to escape and lock myself in an outside room. I WAS LUCKY. MANY ARE NOT.

I cannot stress enough the importance of safe spaces for us Queers. Creating and maintaining them must be high up in our agenda’s. I knew my perpetrator on a personal level, always excusing her snide homophobic remarks as someone who does not understand and hoping as an LGBTQI activist I could “change” her. She was never interested and I held on to a pipe dream so that I could belong. As much as we love interacting and infiltrating spaces that should be for all of us, we have to always be weary. That dance in the wrong club, that drink offer in the wrong party, that mistaken brush on the wrong guy at the wrong space, all those are detrimental to us as queers. We are beautiful, we are unique. We must never let them silence us. I am able to speak about what happened to me, let us not forget there are many many others who cannot. Let us never be silenced for them.

In conclusion, let me leave you with some wise words from Maya Angelou, “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

Me1 Me2

29 Comments

• MirkaTobe July 28, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Peels help to eliminate from of all old deficiencies dermatological cover. exfoliation effective at any time, recommended for skin of any species. After non-traumatic peeling disappear small wrinkles, skin turns out young, without wrinkles. Adaptation – three days. deeper peeling efficiently struggles wrinkles (expression, old, smoothing little scars, eliminates spots.
    Recovery – seven days. Deep peeling performing in the beauty medical facilities. This is very effective procedure, however requires long term recovery – about one month.
    what does a chemical peel do

• Cryptoreli August 15, 2018 at 6:03 am

Bitcoin tradicionalmente relacionam-se a grupo digitais de dinheiro. Ela vive exclusivamente em formato virtual. Apesar de sua no trocados por produtos, servicos ou convencionais financas.
    Bitcoin especifico. Ela nao ligado com as atividades dos bancos, nao tem material aspecto, e desde o inicio projecao desregulada e descentralizada.
    Se simples palavras, o que e o bitcoin e digital financas, que sao extraidas em computacao instrumentos e circulam no proprio sistema de seu regras.
    como fazer atms bitcoin trabalho

• KulTaft August 15, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Pokrasnenie armpit brings inconvenience, aches. to Carry trip doctor cannot be. Bulge under the muscle cavity may become cancer disease. But more often it is result regular use deodorants, non-compliance rules personal hygiene, strong sweating. Inflammation causes a close blouse, contaminated razor, the infection.
    i have a lump under my armpit
    Compaction under the arm, inflammation, lump becoming hot? This is the abscess that should cut from the surgeon, then take antibiotics. initial stage cost lotions, antibacterial drugs. If the process switched to second stage, need surgery.

• スーパーコピーボッテガ ヴェネタ September 25, 2018 at 7:26 am

I will right away seize your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly allow me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

• folorentorium February 5, 2019 at 7:07 am

I have recently started a website, the info you provide on this website has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. “There can be no real freedom without the freedom to fail.” by Erich Fromm.

• where to buy video games near me February 21, 2019 at 2:04 pm

I am now not sure where you are getting your info,
    but great topic. I must spend a while learning much
    more or working out more. Thanks for wonderful information I was looking for this
    info for my mission.

• AnniDeks March 10, 2019 at 4:37 am

Malegra fxt review Canada RX: malegra fxt review FDA approved Followed by units/kg per hour for vigre in usa without prickription hour and repeated…
    what is diffuse anoxic brain injury
    Narrowing the how to use polar heart rate monitor watch can check those anoxia medical definition

• AnniDeks March 13, 2019 at 6:00 am

Accidents may only last a few seconds, but the impact they can have on victims sometimes lasts a lifetime. In addition to the physical injuries, a…
    brain anoxia prognosis
    Coma – anoxemia

• Yollovag March 19, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Mountain Valley’s 196-page lawsuit, filed in Roanoke Tuesday, notes that the project received approval Oct. 13 from the Federal Energy Regulatory
    gas efficient cars 2015
    Top 9 natural ways to increase your appetite new health advisor power outage houston today

• Yollovag March 21, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Sun Edison LLC manufactures solar technology products including solar modules and ground mount structures and provides solar energy services. It
    nuclear bomb
    Teorema de los tres momentos – wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre electricity 4th grade powerpoint

• Mae March 22, 2019 at 9:39 am

I do trust all the concepts you have presented on your post.
    They are really convincing and will definitely work.
    Still, the posts are too brief for starters.
    Could you please prolong them a little from next time?
    Thanks for the post.

• Yollovag March 22, 2019 at 1:25 pm

The Trail Finder 2 is one of RC4WD’s most popular vehicles, and there are a few versions of the platform to choose from. You can get it as a kit, RTR,
    voice calls
    Why exxon mobil’s stock is poised to outperform investopedia bp gas prices chicago

• minecraft March 25, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Right here is the right webpage for anyone who really wants
    to understand this topic. You understand so much its almost hard to
    argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject which has been discussed for ages.
    Excellent stuff, just great!

• minecraft March 27, 2019 at 5:54 am

After I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify
    me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever
    a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.
    There has to be a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

• Zukphex March 28, 2019 at 8:58 am

North America Market Study on Scar Treatment: U.S. to Witness Highest Growth Rates by 2022 “/>
    chemical peel before after
    Water Erosion Processes and the Enrichment of Sorbed Pesticides. Part 2. Enrichment Under Rainfall Dominated Erosion Process – ScienceDirect

• minecraft March 28, 2019 at 10:49 am

What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled
    upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely helpful
    and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid other
    customers like its helped me. Great job.

• Cocowange May 31, 2019 at 10:57 am

Pregnant 种子基地 搜索到8845个福利资源,显示前1000个,用时0.013秒。
    Massage during pregnancy third trimester

• gamefly free trial May 31, 2019 at 3:50 pm

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to
    do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to construct my own blog and
    would like to know where u got this from. thanks

• gamefly free trial June 7, 2019 at 3:05 am

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I
    find this matter to be actually something that I
    think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

• gamefly free trial June 7, 2019 at 11:56 am

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog
    and I am impressed! Very useful information specially the
    last part 🙂 I care for such info much. I was seeking this
    particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

• gamefly free trial June 7, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Having read this I believed it was very informative. I appreciate
    you finding the time and energy to put this
    content together. I once again find myself personally
    spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving
    comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

• http://tinyurl.com/ June 8, 2019 at 3:22 am

I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

• new playstation 4 games June 8, 2019 at 5:45 am

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering problems with
    your RSS. I don’t understand why I can’t join it.
    Is there anybody getting similar RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer can you kindly respond?

Thanks!!

• tinyurl.com June 8, 2019 at 9:24 am

I like what you guys are usually up too. This kind
    of clever work and exposure! Keep up the amazing
    works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

• https://mostcomfortableheadphonestosleepin.xyz June 8, 2019 at 9:10 pm

There is something called as headphone. You can wear it while sleeping

• WINred June 9, 2019 at 1:02 am

This was straight after I’d come off the pill, so I can well believe the link with hormones. It is quite difficult to find good dental care here in the UK, and particularly good holistic dentists, so I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
    Teeth bleaching dentist

• tinyurl.com June 9, 2019 at 10:08 am

Hello to every , as I am really eager of reading this weblog’s post to be updated daily.
    It consists of fastidious stuff.

• https://headphonesyoucanwearwhilesleeping.xyz June 10, 2019 at 6:50 am

is it safe to sleep with headphones in. cause I’m doing it anyway

• quest bars June 16, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your
    site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this
    your broadcast offered bright clear concept